Historylinks Year: 1881
Navy wool glengarry with red pompom, red and white diced band (three rows), and black silk rosette and ribbons. The edge is bound with leather and there is an inner lining of black cotton.
This was given with the uniform of a Colour Sergeant Instructor of 1st Sutherland Highland Rifle Volunteers between 1881 and 1908, which belonged to William Bethune of Bonar Bridge. The glengarry may be contemporary with the uniform or date from after 1908, when the HRV became the 5th (Sutherland) Battalion Seaforth Highlanders.
Picture added on 27 April 2010