Historylinks Year: 1900
The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) officers badges, surmounted by a King's crown, in silver plate from the cross belt belonging to Capt Rose. It has a smooth silver backing plate with four screw attachments. The badge is a mullet (five pointed star) above a bugle stringed; issuing from each end of the bugle and enclosing the mullet there is a spray of thistles. The mullet has one point upermost. For officers the badge was in silver plate and white metal for other ranks. The Regiment was raised in April 1869 under the colonelcy of the young Earl of Angus. The mullet is from his coat of arms as a member of the Douglas family (Dukes of Hamilton). The bugle is common to all Rifle and Light Infantry Regiments and, being a Scottish Regiment, the thistles are appropriate as an embellishment to the badge. The 2nd Battalion was raised in 1794 as The 90th Perthshire Volunteers by Mr Thomas Graham, later Lord Lynedoch. It became a Light Infantry Corps in 1815, hence the bugle in its badge.
Picture added on 06 October 2009