Historylinks Year: 1935
Photograph by R J S Wiseman of British Railways 0.4.4.T. tank locomotive No. 55053 – ex L.M.S. Railway No. 15053, ex Highland Railway No. 45 – stands alongside the Dornoch platform of The Mound junction station of the old Highland Railway Company’s North Line, preparatory to the 7¾ mile run to Dornoch, along the banks of Loch Fleet, on the single-line branch to Dornoch. The North-bound train is seen in the Main-line platform of The Mound station, some seven, or so, feet higher than the Dornoch Branch platform; the driver of the Dornoch Pug seems to be taking receipt of some message or other. The loop-line nearest the camera, for the Dornoch Pug to run round her train, shows the catch-points to retain potential run-away vehicles from descending the steep Branch-line, across the River Fleet onto The Mound Embankment, built by Thomas Telford.
Picture added on 03 July 2008