Historylinks Year: 1935
Photograph by RJ S Wiseman shows a general view of the Dornoch terminal station platform and the layout of the station goods yard. The engine-shed, water-tower and cooling stage (simply an alongside coal wagon) are situated behind the camera. The Dornoch Pug, No. 55053 is running round her train, lying alongside the single terminal platform, probably going to the re-fuelling area. Built at the Lochgorm Locomotive Works of the Highland Railway, Inverness in 1905, to the design of their locomotive superintendent, Dugald Drummond, with two 14 x 20 inch, inside cylinders and wheels of 2 feet 6 inches and 4 feet 6 inches diameter respectively, to a very neat and attractive design. She outlived all of the Highland Railway locomotives to succumb to a fractured leading driving axle, while in service, and was cut-up in Kilmarnock in 1957. How very marvellous and appropriate it would have been had she been repaired, and preserved, possibly on the Strathspey Railway, as the very last H.R. locomotive in existence – an occasion lost for ever!
Picture added on 03 July 2008