Historylinks Year: 1898
Embroidered raised badge in the shape of a shield, on a backing of black felt, hessian or similar, and paper. The shield has a smaller shield inside with a St George's cross (red velvet on white felt). The area around the inner shield is dark purple velvet. The outlines of the cross and of the inner and outer shields are worked in metal thread. The date 1898 is worked in the same thread above the inner shield. The significance of this badge is unknown. It is not on the list of items originally bequeathed to the council by Robert Mackay.
Picture added on 24 April 2008