Historylinks Year: 2018
Article headed 'Dornoch, Highland, 21/NH800885, 1/2 mile S of Dornoch', describing Dornoch airfield as "an unlikely place for an SLG (Satellite Landing Ground) ... was probably chosen because of the dearth of suitable levels areas in this part of Scotland". Sited on Dornoch links, which is shares with the Struie course of the Royal Dornoch Golf Club, the preparation of the airfield for its WW2 role cost £38,000 and "effective camouflage was virtually impossible". The Royal Golf Hotel, in the eastern part of Dornoch with a direct view of the airfield, was taken over to provide billets afor the airmen when the SLF No 40 was opened on 8 August 1941. The article records that Spitfires, Havocs and Whitleys were among the aircraft types stored here by 45 Maintenance Unit (MU) Kinloss. In September 1941, 41 Group Maintenance Command decided to offer 46 MU SLG at Leanach to Flying Training Command and replace it with Dornoch, which was taken over by 46 MU on 9 September 1943 who mainly used it for Beaufighter storage. There were 90 aircraft recorded here in April 1944 and in July 108. The airstrip was re-established in 1967 and Loganair Services to Inverness and Wick were operated in 1972 but proved unecononic. It is still used by light aircraft.
Picture added on 21 November 2018 at 10:18