Historylinks Year: 1939
A British Mark 17 contact mine from World War 2 which stood for over 50 years in Dornoch Square outside the old Post Office. It was relocated to Historylinks in 2003. The mine floated or could be set at varying depths and contact with a horn detonated up to 500 lbs of explosive. The Shipwrecked Fishermen & Mariners' Royal Benevolent Society used these mines as collecting boxes at various seaside resorts.
Picture added on 22 September 2011 at 15:51